It's talked about often that losing weight “feels great.” Many assume that this feeling arrives after months of sweat and determination. However, as soon as you start to incorporate a healthy lifestyle of whole foods and exercise you will feel a change. Your energy will start to soar. Your mood will improve and you will find yourself having feelings of happiness and self-worth. You may be able to get off some medications due to weight-loss, you'll spend less on health care, and your risk of cancer and diabetes will be lower. Then one day you will find your skinny jeans fit perfectly. And while, there is an incredible sense of accomplishment when you do reach a milestone goal, there is real happiness on your daily journey. Let me explain.
Your body is incredibly responsive. We heal from sickness. We feel energy from a great workout. Our minds feel the endorphins of exercise and positive thinking. As soon as you begin to give your body what it’s meant to receive, nutrition, hydration, activity, and self-love, it responds almost immediately. You feel light, energy, and power. And, you physically begin to FEEL a change.
If you want weight-loss, to feel energetic and empowered here's a few tips that can help you get started.
Getting plenty of water promotes weight loss, increased energy, relieves fatigue, flushes out toxins, improves complexion and boosts the immune system, just to name a few. Your stomach will feel slimmer since it can digest food easier and staying hydrated helps you avoid headaches. Plus, water doesn't add a single calorie! Aim to drink 3 liters to 1 gallon of water every day.
Feeling more energetic only takes a few daily changes. Those changes are sleep, eating enough to fuel your day, and exercising regularly. Eating whole foods throughout the day and keeping sugar intake low gives you immediate energy. By five o’clock you'll either be sluggish from sugar or you’ll be actively engaged in your evening events. Exercise release endorphins, which is a hormone secreted within the brain and nervous system that causes an euphoric effect, making you happy with more energy. Sleep helps weight-loss, memory, problem solving, concentration, and energy. Studies show that the best amount is at least 7 hours.
One of the greatest feelings in the world is progressing towards a goal! Each and every day that you follow a diet of whole foods and exercise, you are taking a step (or two or three) forward. Your mind is incredibly powerful. Some of my clients have allowed themselves years of negative self-talk. It’s dark, damaging, and hurtful. However, just a few days of healthy eating and exercise quickly reverses that negativity. If you are mindful you will notice these changes. Light immediately penetrates darkness. You feel hopeful, excited, and CAPABLE of reaching your goals. And, if any thread of discouragement returns, you can quickly replace that fear with positive affirmations and acknowledge that you are on your own path of success.
If you begin enjoying the benefits of healthy nutrition and exercise on a daily basis. You’ll immediately fall in love with the way you FEEL!
This is a topic I am asked about all the time. So many women want to know what they can do to look and feel younger. As you know, I am a huge proponent of weight lifting for women, as well as following a healthy nutrition plan for your body, and understanding and balancing your hormones as you age. What some of you may not know, is I am also a big advocate for natural and organic products and regimens for your skin.
There are millions of anti-aging skin care products on the market today. Many of them are simply an overpriced mixture of water, alcohol, and other toxic ingredients which over time only makes your skin dry out, causes blemishes and acne, and increases fine lines and wrinkles. Even the best of the best skin care isn't doing what it could be if the chemicals in it are toxic and leaching into your body, aging it from the inside out.
I don't know about you, but I don't want a skin care that only makes me look good, I want a skin care that I know will work AND is providing my body with essential oils and anti-oxidants to improve my overall health. My clients are always talking about how expensive Botox and facial treatments are, wishing there was something easier and less expensive to stop the wrinkles from creeping across their faces. I keep reminding them those treatments definitely can help but if what you're doing to your face every night and morning isn't healthy, then it won't matter how much Botox or how many specialized facials they get.
It's what you do everyday that counts...
Over time the chemicals and toxic ingredients we are constantly putting into our bodies and onto our skin in the form of cosmetics, lotions, shampoos, hair products, etc. build up as toxins in our livers and has been shown to cause cancers. I also firmly believe these chemicals increase the aging process. I can always tell when I'm using products that aren't as pure.
Now, if you're beating yourself up because you haven't been taking care of your skin the way you should, don't. I wasn't always kind to my skin. In my younger years, I used to tan, not worrying about sunscreen, plus I never read labels or cared about the ingredients in creams and other products I put on my skin. But, once I hit the big 40, that all changed. This all made me realize what a gift our skin is. I spent a number of years looking for a product line that is 100% toxin free. I've tried many over the years and some I liked better than others. However, until recently I wasn't able to find exactly what I was looking for.
Several months ago I was at lunch with one of my good friends. I couldn't help but notice how amazing her skin looked. She said she's been using a new skin care line called Australiana Skin. She told me where to find it and I went straight home and researched the company. I won't go into details here, but let's just say I was extremely impressed. I ordered one of their sets and long story short, I've been hooked ever since. I have finally found the product my skin has always been begging me for.
Sticking to a routine...
One important factor for success with change is finding a routine that works for you, and sticking to it. I am a pretty busy person, but if I don't schedule time for my workouts, meal prep and yes, you guessed it, skin care - I won't achieve my goals.
Every morning I wash my face and apply my serum and moisturizer. Every evening I wash my face and apply my serum and moisturizer. Once to twice per week I use my scrub and my Miracle Mask. I treat this habit the same way I treat brushing my teeth. It's something I refuse to miss. It takes me three to five minutes and the return is ten-fold every time I see my reflection or someone asks me how I look so young.
Are you ready to look twenty years younger? Do you have a skin care routine? If not, start today. Grab yourself some excellent products, then establish your routine and be consistent. You'll be looking twenty years younger in no time!
Here's an extra incentive to try this great skin care, you get 15% off your product by entering the code Sandy15 at checkout. I know you will love it! Go to Australianaskin.com to read above these anti-aging products.
I recently read this weight loss analogy that I found so motivating I thought I should share. I hope you find this helpful in your weight loss journey!
By: Bob White
Let's assume you go out and buy two rolls of paper towels, each with only 84 paper towels on it (one for each day of the challenge). You put one aside, and keep it for future reference (your before picture).
The other one represents you (I'll call your paper towel you Ed). The core represents the lean Ed. The towels represent the fat that is covering the lean Ed. For sake of argument, let's say that Ed wants to lose 21 pounds of fat, so (84/21) each sheet represents a quarter-pound of fat lost. Let's also assume that Ed loses his fat equally during each day of the challenge.
Each day during the first week, you tear a sheet off of Ed, representing the fat he has lost for the day. Next, you put Ed next to the full roll ('Big Al') for comparison. No noticeable difference!!! Even at the end of the week! This can't be working for me!
But, being a good Ed, you continue to follow Body-for-LIFE. At the end of weeks two and three, you continue to compare Ed to Big Al, and still notice very little difference. That stinkin' Bill Phillips MUST be a liar!
But Ed is determined! He works hard! Hitting his 10's.eating his 6 daily meals. Three more weeks go by, the sheets peeling off day after day, before Ed gets up the courage to stand next to Big Al again. Holy Myoplex! Ed is skinny! OK, not skinny, but less huge!!!
By the end of the 12-week Body-for-LIFE program, Ed is down to his lean dream, or somewhere near it. Ed is happy. We are happy. Big Al - well he's not so happy.
The lesson to be learned is that fat, like paper towels, comes off in sheets. When you are heavy, you are big around. And when you are big around,that fat is spread over a MUCH larger area - just like that outside towel sheet. The closer you get to the lean you, the more each lost pound of fat shows, because it is spread over a smaller area.
While the outside sheet may only cover 1 layer of the roll, the inside sheet may go around 4 times. That last sheet looks like it gives you 4 times the results of the first sheet, but in reality, the results are the same - your perception is just different! And you'll never see the inside, if you aren't patient while the outside is coming off!
Body sculpting is the process of increasing muscle and bone strength through weight lifting. Weight training is the combination of machines, weight bars, exercise bands, and dumbbells.
If you are going to weight train to sculpt your body here is some information you might need to know:
● How will weight lifting benefit you: Lifting weight is extremely important since it keeps you strong as you age, helps keep bone health and preventing osteoporosis. It increases muscle mass which is important as we age by preventing falls and broken hips. Besides all those important reasons most women want to feel better in their own skin and maybe fit into that bikini again. Feeling good about the way you look lifts confidence and gives you the power to create the life you desire.
● Preventing fatigue during your workout: It’s very important to fuel your body so you have the strength to complete a workout. Therefore, always have a meal with protein, carbs and veggies at least a hour beforehand. There is nothing worse than having your blood sugar drop during a workout and not being able to complete it. Eating 5-6 small meals throughout the day will give the body what it needs to recover, lean up and build muscle.
● Facts of a good personal trainer: Your personal trainer should make sure you start at your own level and progress from there. He/she should also talk and instruct you through proper form and technique. As you increase strength your trainer should push you to that next level so you continue to improve, build and therefore, body sculpt.
● Best tips for the beginners: Always do an active warmup before weight training. For instance, do 5-10 minutes on a treadmill or elliptical. As a beginner always start with a whole body workout for 3-4 weeks to get your joints strong and ready for weight resistance. After your workout is the best time to do static stretching for 10-15 minutes. Always hold each stretch for 20-30 seconds.
Taking the time to prep all your meals once a week will ensure you are getting the calories your body needs to fuel, recover and body sculpt. Support all the hard work you are doing in the gym with a nutritionally structured meal plan. Eating every 3 – 4 hours will help balance blood sugar, keep body full, help build muscle, and avoid binging. If you are not prepping your meals ahead of time there is no way you can stay on a structured plan and give your body what it needs to build and lean up at the same time.
What are the best foods for sculpting your body? Whole foods in it's natural form will always be best. Protein such as chicken, fish, eggs and beef supply the body with the protein it needs to build and tone muscle. Proteins are the main building blocks of the human body. It serves the body by building and supporting the growth of tissues and molecules that help both structural and functional purposes. Carbohydrates such as rice, potatoes, yams, quinoa and oats supply the body with energy and aids in recovery. Green veggies are important for fiber, they supply the body with vitamins and minerals, and fight off disease. Fats such as nuts, avocados and nut oils help with brain and joint health, helps you feel satisfied and also fights off cravings.
Here are a few great sources you might consider:
● Dark Turkey Meat: Dark turkey meat is enrich in zinc which helps boosting beauty and also gives new energy for performing physical activities. Moreover, it also helps in maintaining a healthy immune system.
● Salmon: Salmon contains omega-3 fatty acids, the healthy fat that lower your risk of heart disease. It is an excellent source of vitamin B12, B6, vitamin D and selenium.
● Prawns: Prawns are very low in calories, high in protein and consists of a mineral called selenium which is an antioxidant. It assist in maintaining thyroid health and the body's immune system.
● Eggs: Whole eggs are good source of the good fats omega 3 fatty acids. Whole eggs are a good source of vitamins B12, B2, B5, A, Folate, Phosphorus and Selenium. Eggs raise HDL good cholesterol. They are high in quality protein and all the essential amino acids.
● Lean Beef: Lean beef helps in increasing protein level in the body and provides iron to the bones. Lean beef is a good source of B vitamins, zinc, selenium and Iron.
● Spinach: Spinach is a great source of magnesium, iron, B2 and B6, folate, Vitamin K, E & A, calcium and potassium. Spinach helps in making collagen in the body. Basically, collagen is a rubbery protein, which makes muscles and skin toned, youthful and gives it a great appearance. The fact is that this is also enriched with fiber which will help you stay satified.
● Kale: This food is very low in calories but provides many health benefits such as, it is high in iron, and vitamin K. It is filled with powerful antioxidants and is a great anti-inflammatory food. One cup of kale is filled with omega-3 fatty acids, which help fight against asthma, arthritis, and autoimmune disorder.
● Beetroot: This is very powerful antioxidant and just like other vitamins and minerals this gives great impact to skin by giving it a youthful look. This also prevents skin from being damage.
● Tomatoes: Tomatoes are a nutrient-dense superfood that offers many benefits. They help protect and maintain healthy blood pressure, and reduces blood glucose. Tomatoes also contain key carotenoids such as lutein and lycopene. These protect the eyes against light damage.
The body will always thrive on a structured plan and therefore create the best results faster. The body will continue to improve everyday if you are consistent with meal planning and weight training.