If you have focused on your healthy lifestyle throughout the year you don’t want to let the holidays set you back. The parties and festive foods everywhere you turn can be frustrating. Plus, the hustle and bustle of the holidays might have you avoiding your workouts. Don’t let this happen! Stay focused on your workouts and what you are eating. Here are some helpful tips to get you through the New Year without putting on unwanted pounds.
- Eat every 3 hours – Starting with breakfast every morning will stop craving later in the day. Then continue to eat every three hours which will keep your blood sugar levels so you don’t crash and give into poor choices.
- Another simple trick is to eat right before your party so you won’t be tempted to eat things you shouldn’t.
- Don’t use food for stress – There are other ways to deal with stress so you don’t add to your waistline. The best way I deal with stress is working it off at the gym. Other ways are going for a walk, get a massage or facial, go to the movie or take a bubble bath.
- Think 90/10 – If you are following a healthy food plan you do deserve to reward yourself 10% of the time. Once a week or during a holiday party go ahead and treat yourself to foods you don’t normally eat.
- Stay Active – Always stay on your routine during the holidays. That is especially important when it comes to your workout. Keep it on your schedule and don’t miss a day. Working out will also help you stay on your healthy meal plan. You won’t want to put in all that work and then spoil your progress by eating unhealthy foods.
- Limit Alcohol – Choose wisely and stay away from the surgery drinks. Remember when you drink it loosens inhibitions and can wreck your healthy plan. Always alternate your drinks with water and stay hydrated.
- Track food – A tracking system is a great way to make sure you don’t go over your calorie allotment. Track all your foods on a calorie counter food app which will help you make sure you need all the right micro-nutrients. One of my favorite calorie counter food apps is My Fitness Pal, Livestrong or FitNow.
- Keep the sugar out of your house – Seeing and smelling sugar is a disaster waiting to happen. Especially after a long and stressful day. Set yourself up to be the winner you want to be. Make smart decisions at the grocery store and don’t buy things you normally don’t buy.
- Pack Your Food – You have errands, parties, more errands and traffic to deal with. You haven’t eaten for over 4 hours and your blood level has dropped. This is a time when you will stop anywhere to eat. You don’t care at this point. Well, this is exactly what you want to avoid. Always, prep your meals in advance and then take them with you no matter if it’s a quick errand or not. This time of year always takes longer to get where you are going. If you think you need one meal you should take two or three. Set yourself up to win.
The holidays can be tough, but you can come out ahead of the game if you are organized and plan ahead of time. Don’t beat yourself up for your mistakes and go off the deep end. Start over…..believe in yourself and what you are capable of. Plan ahead so you will look sexy for the holidays!