I work with women in all walks of life and I love them all. The only difference between the competitor client and the everyday client is the motivation to stick to the program. It does seem easier for the competitor because they are the ones who are getting on stage in a bikini and turning around. There is no better motivation than that! So how does the everyday client find her motivation? It does seem to be a challenge sometimes. Most importantly, you need a clear vision, a deep desire, and focus on a detailed goal. With a goal that is broken down into smaller everyday pieces, your goal is much more likely to succeed. The end goal for a competitor or non-competitor is basically the same – a strong, sexy, healthy body. After reaching your goal you will want to make your new healthy body and mind a lifestyle change. To do this you need balance. No one is perfect and stays on a strict nutrition plan all year long. This is just not realistic. Eat clean meals throughout the week and take a special time during the weekend to enjoy your favorite meal and treat (unless you are getting ready for a competition). Then get back to eating clean after that. There are so many great, healthy foods out there which are whole foods; not processed. Go to your local health food store and read labels. Stay away from high sodium contents, which are found in almost all fast foods and most restaurant foods. Learn how to make yummy, great food at home.
If you don’t know where to start then hiring a coach is your first step because a coach can walk you through each step and hold you accountable. Here are a few things I suggest for my clients to help them on their journey:
- Write down your goal and the time-frame in which it will take you to get there.
- Journal your food for three days so you know what you the nutritional value of what you are eating. Keep track of calories, carbs, protein, fiber, fat and sodium. This will give you an idea of what you are eating.
- Eat 6 small meals a day that are comprised of protein, complex carbs (earlier in the day), fruits, veggies, and healthy fats.
- Take one day a week to cook all your food for the week. Weigh, measure, and store each meal in a container so you can have it ready when you need it.
- When you leave your house always take your food with you. If you think you will only need 1 meal, then you should take two, because everything seems to take longer than we think and unexpected things come up, so be prepared, especially if you are serious about your goals.
- Get a planner and write down when you will train and do your cardio sessions. Plan your shopping and cooking times. Make sure you don’t plan anything during these important times.
- Always sleep 7 – 8 hours every night. Your body needs this rest to grow, recover, and have the balance you need to perform the next day. Getting your sleep also prevents cravings.
- Find friends who will support your goals and help you succeed.
- Now, the most important part of this list is to do it now! Make the decision now to change your life for the better.
This plan is not a secret but it is often overlooked. The problem is that most people will tell you how hard it is. I get this from my clients all the time. It is only as hard as you believe it is. If you believe it is hard then you are right. If you believe it is easy then you are also right. Your mind is so powerful and if you can get your mind to be in harmony with your goals then the world is yours. Your power truly is within you. There is nothing more empowering than making your dreams come true. Begin now to look, and feel beautiful, fit, sexy, and healthy!